Vice President of Engineering
Date posted: April 7, 2021
MakeShift is an online employee scheduling app, using a 'people-first approach'. It is a complete web and mobile solution that is intuitively designed to build schedules, track time and attendance and enable communication between staff and their management.
We are looking for an experienced and highly-skilled technical leader to oversee development of our workforce scheduling product, MakeShift.
You will be responsible for leading a small team of engineers, including full stack, mobile, as well as a QA team. You will actively participate in technical and business conversations with our leadership group, our partners and on new business development.
We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable in a startup environment, working with a smaller team and able to dive in to help the development team as necessary. The product is a relatively mature web application, with deep API integrations, so experience integrating against enterprise APIs is valuable to have.
Having the ability to build a strong development culture in a remote environment will be key as the business evolves in new areas of growth. Flexibility and the experience needed to balance technical debt while delivering business value is what you bring to the table.
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of a small group of developers working on MakeShift. This includes:
- Mentorship around development practices where possible.
- Regular check-ins on projects, managing roadblocks, concerns or struggles the development team is having.
- Pair programming and code reviews.
- Architecture and guidance in new feature development, or refactors and performance improvements.
- Ongoing improvements and adaptations around working processes, such as the organization of complex deployments, infrastructure changes, and the management of a varying degree of technical support requirements.
- Manage and report on KPIs of the product and identify any performance or scalability concerns.
- Make recommendations and decisions around the platform and the architecture.
- Report on technical development timelines.
- Work closely with Product to ensure roadmap development is on track, and co-lead resource and estimation meetings.
- Manage monthly budgets for software expenses.
- Guarantee uptime of 99.99%.
- Manage deprecations in underlying libraries, platforms and third party APIs, and ensure everything is up-to-date and supported to continue to operate and remain secure.
- Represent the technical platform within business relationships, including:
- Meeting with partners and potential partners to discuss integration options and collaboration.
- Provide and speak to technical details (security policies, API usage) with larger clients and new business.
- Manage vendors and third party relationships.
- Hiring and onboarding of new developers.
- Track technical progress and challenges throughout the year and report on work for SRED purposes.
- Previous experience (2+ years) in senior management or technical leadership role.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage a remote team.
- Strong technical skills and systems knowledge.
- Comfortable operating business critical applications.
- Enjoys being part of development process.
- Potential off-hours support occasionally required.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Building, managing & supporting a public API.
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Vue.
- Enterprise Integration.
Perks of MakeShift
- Relaxed environment with a good team that enjoys what they do.
- Everyone is responsible for coming up with great ideas and everyone’s input is heard.
- Full benefits package.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to
email@example.com with the subject
Vice President of Engineering. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.